Saturday, May 30, 2020

How to Be A Good Neighbor in a Pandemic

We are going through this odd time in our lives. We don't know what tomorrow will bring and how long this season is going to last. We've had to make adjustments to our daily routines, and parents are figuring out how to home school kids and balance working at home with family.

Which is why we all need to be there for one another. Supporting each other. Connecting with each other.

Social distancing is a careless word for what we are supposed to do to stay healthy during a pandemic. Physically, yes. We need to stay at least six feet apart. No physical contact, but in distancing that doesn't mean we are to avoid helping others.

Social media is all about connecting with others. So saying 'social distancing' is misleading.

We need to be socially connecting and physically distancing.

Some areas are worse than others.

I call my mom once a week. That hasn't changed.
I haven't seen my parents since Christmas. I thought I would see the farm for Easter. They don't video chat, but I pray when this ends I can go home to spend more time with them. In the meantime, I've been reaching out and helping others, and I want to encourage you to do the same.

You can be six feet or six states away from someone and still be there for them.

It's a hard time for everyone. Be kind.
We're all handling this in different ways. If your online in different groups and chats, be respectful of other people's feelings.

If your neighbors are in need, share with them. You can drop food off on the porch or mow the grass for the elderly and disabled.  You can share recipes and ideas for managing at home.

Make new traditions. Start game nights. Try new things.
It's okay to ask if you don't know who to do something. Really.
It'll be okay.

We're all in this together.

I've never been a fan of hugs.
but I'm happy to send as many virtual ones as you need.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Wait! Don't Cancel Christmas!

  We're not having Christmas this year.  No Christmas?  Don't come home. We're not getting together. We're not celebrating t...