Monday, March 19, 2018

Kids Today Need Their Parents Attention More



Long ago, when I had kids, I knew two things.
1.     I wanted to be a mother.
2.     I wanted to stay home and raise my children as my mother had with me and my siblings.
Today, not all of us are able to have that luxury, but I believe if your heart is set on it, you can do it. And, I don’t always believe it is the mother who needs to be at home. I do, however, believe in one parent staying home or working from home part-time to raise a family.
As our kids are getting older, there are more things out there than ever before leading them down the wrong paths. They need their parents. Not friends. Parents.
I used to think when my kids got older they wouldn’t need me as much anymore. They could do things on their own, and they can. They can bathe themselves, get a drink and prepare a meal as they mature and learn those skills. As parents, we teach them those skills to survive and take care of themselves.
Then come the teenage years and the emotions that tumble along with this phase in their lives. Remember the hardships of being a teenager? Want to go back there? I don’t know what is worse, being a toddler and having your hand slapped while being told no, or being a teenager and having all the wrong people telling you yes.
While our kids may learn to physically tend to themselves, they need us through those rough years and not being there for them only makes it harder.
We’re busy. I get it. Every day is a rush to get places, meet with people, and get things done.
SLOW DOWN!
How many times a day does your kid ask you for help or to spend time with them and you can’t because you’ve got somewhere else you need to be or something else you need to do?
Slow down, spend time with your kids. Be their mentor. Be their parent. Cut out the things in your life that make you too busy to play that game or spend an hour walking or chatting with your teenager.
There are a lot of things going on in their lives. Bullies. Fears. Drama. Broken hearts.
All those things in your life making you busy, they can be replaced.
Your family… your children… those are the tomorrows we’ve been given to direct.
Take time to have those family meals, to go on that family outing, to spend an hour or two going for that walk, playing that board  or video game, helping your child with homework, or planning a movie night.
If there are more than three things on your list each day, cut it down. Rather than rush, and be too busy, focus and become more purposeful. Slow down. The world WILL wait for you if you stop to take a look at what is around you.
Because kids need their parents in their lives more now than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wait! Don't Cancel Christmas!

  We're not having Christmas this year.  No Christmas?  Don't come home. We're not getting together. We're not celebrating t...