Friday, October 11, 2019

How I Find Time To Write



When something is important to you, time is something you always find. It shows where your heart and your motivations lie. For me, it’s writing and giving life to the stories that form from ideas and inspiration that I find around me. It’s entertaining and inspiring others, and putting that into words that build words and create characters that evoke happy ever afters.
Several weeks ago, I had the pleasure of hanging out with some of my fellow authors at a book event. The question came up on how I find time to write.
Well, let me tell you this. My parents always told me that if I wanted something I needed to find a way to achieve it on my own. Thank you, Mom and Dad, for instilling that value in me that I’m able to pass on to my children today.
I started writing when I was in high school. I wrote in college, but not until I was married and had my second child did I decide I would do anything with those stories I’d been holding onto all those years. Just call me a country girl with dreams of inspiring and entertaining others through the gift of stories.
But writing a good story takes time.

Maybe one day we’ll talk about savoring a good story and what goes into it, but today let’s talk about the time commitment and how to make time to write.
When my kids were little, I wrote in notebooks. No, not the digital kind. I carried around paper notebooks. They were great for letting kids draw and playing tic tac toe when you needed to keep them occupied in doctor office waiting rooms or for buses to arrive. I didn’t have a laptop until my kids got into elementary school.
My days back then centered around my kids. They still are. I would get up two hours before they woke. I’d send my husband off to work and I’d write until it was time to wake up the kids. I wrote at nap times and after they went to bed, I prepared for the next day so I could have my morning writing time.
I’m in the tween/teen stage now which you’d think gives me more time to write. Nope. Not this Momma. But what I do is MAKE time to write. My schedule isn’t always the same every day. I’ve had to step away from responsibilities outside of my household and take the backseat on things where I was once the leader.
It’s a matter of priorities. It’s a matter of taking care of yourself, your family, and not spreading yourself too thin. It’s hard to give up things you’ve been doing for a long time. I found a ton of support thanks to friends, family, and fellow authors.
I still get up early every day. I can’t help it, blame it on the farm girl in me. I start my morning with a bit of reading and a good cup of tea. I read inspirational and motivational works as well as books on writing and marketing. Currently, as I write this post, I’m reading Joyce Meyer’s Battlefield of the Mind.
Most days, I spend two hours in the morning writing. And I get another two hours in the afternoon. Once I week I take my Surface Pro and head out of the house. I find a quiet spot in a local coffee shop. If life gets chaotic and I can’t get any writing done any other day. I have that one day I try hard to keep reserved for me to write. And another day a week, I spend taking care of all my errands and the business side of being a writer. I don’t write at all that day, and I don’t write on weekends. Weekends are family time. Our weekdays are so busy, I reserve the weekends to spend time together and rest.
Slow and steady, my friend. The key to finishing any project is to be consistent and don’t give up. One word, one chapter, one book at a time.
I know not all of you reading this are writers, but I’d love to know one thing you do to make time to be creative?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wait! Don't Cancel Christmas!

  We're not having Christmas this year.  No Christmas?  Don't come home. We're not getting together. We're not celebrating t...